Mum used to make this for us years, ago. It was fab then and it’s still fab now. Typically……I added more chocolate to the recipe, coz you can never have too much chocoloate 🙂 I know is says meringue, but trust me it’s sooo easy to make.
Hazelnut Meringue Cake
- 5 egg whites
- 250g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essense
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 150g ground roasted hazelnuts
- Prepare two 8″ spring form tins with baking paper on the bottom and buttered floured sides.
- Whisk the eggs whites, when stiffening, add 2/3 of the sugar and continue till stiff and glossy
- Cut and gently fold in the last 1/3 sugar, hazelnuts, vanilla and vinegar.
- Split the mixture into the two prepared pans and smooth out
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 190deg C for 25-30 mins.
- When done, allow to cool and remove from the pans. The cake should not come out crispy like a well cooked meringue, the hazelnuts centre should have a chewy consistency.
- 300mL cream
- 200g Dark chololate
- 125g caster sugar
- 250mL water
- 125mL Cointreau
- In a pan, melt the chocolate with a little water.
- When creamy smooth, add the sugar and remainder of the water
- When all is dissolved, add half the water and simmer for 10 mins
- Allow to cool and then add remaining Cointreau and set aside – that’s the chocolate sauce made.
- Whip the cream till stiff. Add the chocolate sauce to the desired taste and colour.
- Spread this cream mixture on one round of the meringue cake.
- Stack the second cake on top and press gently to level the cake.
- Dress the sides of the cake with more ganache as you like.
- Finally, drizzle chocolate sauce over the top and serve.
It sound like a lot of work, but I reckon its worth it.